Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Best Hours of the Day

Hi! My name is Julie and I started my homeschooling adventure about ten years ago. I just graduated my oldest (Praise God!), and I still have three more kids to go! I wanted to start this blog talking about the main reason my husband and I decided to homeschool. First of all, I need to establish that we are Christians who want to raise our kids to love and know the Lord. As I sent my oldest son to kindergarten, first, and then second grade, I realized that it was really difficult to find the time to teach him from God's word (plus I had three other kids younger than he was). I kept trying different times, but it was really hard to squeeze it in! Then I thought,"Wait a minute! God is too important to just "squeeze" into our busy day! I want Him to be in every part of it!!!!!" I also realized that my son was so tired and worn out when he got home from school, that it was really hard for me to teach him about anything, even if it was just table manners or how to do one of his chores correctly! The school had stolen the 'best hours of his day", and by that I mean the hours that he was fresh and ready to learn something ! Now I'm not blaming the school, for they need their students to be at their freshest in order to learn, but I felt like I was being cheated out of some precious time with my child! Therefore, we decided to look into homeschooling, and we've been doing it ever since! It hasn't always been easy, and there are many times when I feel inadequate! I will tell you one thing though: I would not trade the years that I've been privileged to spend getting to know my son who just graduated, as well as the time I'm spending getting to know my other three! It is quite an adventure, though, and now some of the "best hours of MY DAY" are those I get to spend with the children that I have been gifted with! Thank You God!

No comments:

Post a Comment